Monday, August 07, 2006

Kuching and back.

If there's one thought in my head after my trip to Kuching, it would be:

" I don't remember salt water being that salty..."

Our stay in Kuching comprised of 2 out of 3 nights stay at Damai Beach (one night being at a relative's place). Damai is kinda like Port Dickson except it's not polluted, no ships in the distant, there's a nice tooth shaped mountain (Santubong) facing the beach and yeah, it's probably much nicer than Port Dickson... Well, its name conjures up thoughts of peace and tranquality rather than ships passing you while you take a dip in the sea. (Don't mind the East Malaysian bias-ness here.)

Besides the beach, trips to Kuching are always formulical and involves trips to visit family and gorging on Sarawakian delicacies. It's practically the homebase of my dad's family on both sides. The Leong and the Chan family. The former more renowned for it's rascal-like ways (in a good manner, think Han Solo but not your local street thug rascal way) and the later more renowned for it's scholarly ways.

I've never got to know either of my grandparents on my dad's side with my grandmom passing away when my dad was in his early teens and my grandpa passing away when I was just five. My parents tend to make up for that by visiting my granduncles and grandaunties. These visits usually invoke memories of my dad growing up in Kuching with his cousins and also memories of me and my bro being being brought up here.

Apparently, my stubborness was evident ever since I was a young child. Each time my parents used to drop off me and my brother at my granduncle's place to drop by the Sunday market, I would cry my head off and nothing would stop me. Chocolate or a bottle would temporary shut me up but I would continue my resolve to cry till my parents came back. Greatness in the making, I'll say. Heh.

A few days after Kuching, I was hit with some viral infection. I was down for the count with headaches and a fever but not with the usual output of mucus and snot. The doctor suspected it was dengue ( but I didn't have bodyaches or spots on my skin and I got better)

Thinking about this, maybe each time we get a flu or stricken with something.. it's like God saying,"Here, son. Take it slow, take a rest."

But looking back on the last two months, the opposite's probably true for me. Haven't done much to my name in the time. Now, I've got 3 weeks left in Malaysia till I go back to Notts early. Time to speed up on the gorging, building up some muscle mass, improving that basketball, catch up with an old friend or two.

A new chapter begins in 3 weeks. A chapter where Joachim is thrown into the deep end... home-alone and has to fend (to be more precise, cook) for himself for a few weeks before he can attempt to freeload off his unsuspecting friends. Will his skeletal remains be found in his room as it dawns upon him too late that a diet of bread with Nutella and maggi-mee does little good for the body? Or will he rise above to establish himself as one of the better cooks in all of Dunkirk, Nottingham?

Tune in next to find out folks!

Till' next time. Go with God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home