Saturday, September 02, 2006

It's that time of year...

Sources have indicated to me that the Malaysian Society of Notts Uni just had their Pre-D briefing just today. Ahh.. yes, that time of year.

I remember last year's Pre-D. I was keen to meet a fellow Sarawakian in the form of Rudi but he couldn't make it in the end. It's akward going to Pre-D although everyone probably looks just as lost as you are. Looking back, I can only remember meeting Priya, Teong Weng( who sat on my right) and Praveen asking a question something to do with the internet on campus...

But most of all, I remember asking, ' Do they provide soap and shampoo in halls?'. Yes, so if you've gone to a Pre-D and not asked a dumb question, you're successfully one step ahead of me. In hindsight, it was a "Big Moose" moment (ref: Archie) or what we we at 4/5 s might consider a "Jo Ong" moment.( You see, back in our Form 4/5 years, we always had this guy, Jo Ong who would ask out of context or wierd questions out of the blue... especially in Mr Alex's Chem class. Lol.)

I guess asking such a question also goes towards building your 'persona'. Yes. Persona. Perhaps, people might remember me better, yeah.. that's it! (For the wrong reason perhaps >.<) I mean, see, I remember Jo Ong! But then again, our class only had 30 plus people. Leanne and Prav remember me asking me that question. Heck, I also introduced myself during the one of the NMS meetings as 'the guy who asked about...'. Then again, you're reading about the guy who addressed himself to his coursemates as a 'cheap bastard' in the course of trying to run for a post but that's another story for another day.

There was an article in.. Fortune on Personas, I think it was an editorial... where it wrote about how companies hired CEOs based on their personas. It's not who you are or what you can do.. but in how you portray yourself and how it helps bring in the MOO-lah to the company. Talk about creating artifical value, eh?

Then again, I doubt the writer had anything in mind about a guy asking about whether halls provided shampoo or soap. Meh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home