Sunday, October 15, 2006

Of Onions...

An old school mate, Pi Xie (yes, unique name, no?) apparently is coming down from Canada with a few other friends from around to visit the UK in December 'till January.

So, she asked me where in the UK I was and I told her, Nottingham. And then, she asked... What's there to see in Nottingham?

And it hit me. What is there to see in Nottingham? Notts games is coming up (4th of November) and my parents are visiting around Xmas. I'm bound to be asked this question again soon.

It got me thinking hard. What do I know about Nottingham? Well, there's um.. Hooters? Oh.. and of course our massive, green campus with the spiffy lake. It's quite a nice lake.. the Trent building overlooking the lake with shrubs, wild geese, swans, paths all around the lake. I have to say you've really gotta watch where yer stepping so if you're thinking of pak-tohing, it's good to look down and not really a good time to go goo-goo eyed with your loved one.

Thinking even harder and I've realized Nottingham's got its layers. It's like an onion! Lots of layers to discover. So far, I only know.. where to shop and get groceries. A couple of clubs I've actually visited - Oceana, Faces, Geisha, Bar Snug, The Works. A few pubs. All three comic shops in Nottingham City. The main Uni campus and it's sister campuses (Sutton Bonningtan where you can actually see rabbits frolicking on campus and oh so, industrial Jubilee Campus). I've been to Wollaton Park a few times for picnics and cycled once around it.

And then I realized there's quite a number of layers I've yet to discover. I haven't actually been to the Nottingham Castle which I've heard is just really a large wall and not actually a nice big castle. I've not been down south to the Peak District which is treat for nature lovers apparently. And of course, there's a seedier layer to Nottingham.. the strip clubs. One not too far from Dunkick at Isis. One right smack in the centre of the city, Bar Hambug.

Looking at the larger picture, I've yet to discover much of the UK either. I've visitted Manchester, Bath, Blackpool and of course, London. I haven't been to Newcastle, Edinburgh, Warwick, Birmingham, Oxbridge or anywhere else actually. Mm.

Then, I'm starting to realize.. i'm running out of time here. So 'lil time, so much things to do. If I was to look everything metaphorically.. I'm only past a few layers into the onion.

Hm.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed the most important layer of Nottingham. The layer you love the most, the one you always never fail to mention, the one you are most expert in.

The strip clubs.

 
At 11:31 pm, Blogger Joachim L. said...

Mmm. strip clubs.

Yeah, I have to recommend you lar.. expert tour guide. I only know where they are in Nottingham but not actually stepped into one like.. someone ;p

Where's Conrads btw?

 
At 1:25 pm, Blogger jess said...

jo. wow.

the strip clubs.
my gosh. see la, what has happened to your morals without my loving guidance......*smirk*

 
At 1:32 pm, Blogger regine said...

jo jo jo!!!

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger jess said...

CAN YOU UPDATE PLEASE

love,
the distressed girl in the library

 

Post a Comment

<< Home